Red Warrants for Altaf
According to a news report M o I on request from FIA has approved issuance
of Red Warrants against Altaf Hussain to bring him back to Pakistan to face a
trial for a murder in London of Dr. Imran Farooq.
A London based Pakistani barrister who has Extradition and International
Crime defence as one of his areas of practice has the following to say in this
Every now and then some babu tries to move the summary to get AH through
INTERPOL. I always thought bureaucrats are an educated lot.
1. AH is a British citizen.
2. There is no extradition treaty. (Between UK and Pakistan)
3. International police can only ask British police. (To arrest AH and hand
him over to Interpol for extradition to Pakistan)
4. The police never arrests in the absence of a treaty (extradition) or one
off mutual agreement. (between any two countries)
5. AH abroad can be served Red Warrants but order of the (British) court is
6. No court orders extradition if the sentence is death. (which in the case
of a murder trial is quite possible)
Can someone inform Ch Nisar to end this charade that adds to our ever
growing disrepute and ineptness in almost all other departments of rule.
Col. Riaz Jafri (Retd)